Skip to main content
First Team

Last-minute drama sees two points slip away after the game was effectively over by the break

The Armeros led 3-0 on 64' but were unable to hold on to their advantage

SD Eibar let two points slip in the last minute of their clash at Espanyol in a game in which victory was all but secured after the visitors raced into a 3-0 half-time lead.

The Armeros found themselves under the cosh in the early exchanges, as Espanyol pressed forward and threatened Asier Riesgo's goal.

As the minutes ticked by, Jose Luis Mendilibar's side gradually grew into the game and the visitors produced some clinical finishing to go into the break three goals to the good.

Sergi Enrich broke the deadlock on 22 minutes when he applied the finishing touch to a move that began with a crossfield pass from Dani Garcia to Pedro León, whose cross was then flicked on by Kike García into the path of Enrich, who stroked home from close range.

Five minutes later, a fine Inui centre from the left flank was put into his own net by Diego Reyes, as the Espanyol defender attempted to clear his lines.

Eibar rounded off a perfect first half with a third goal on 44'. Enrich collected a sublime dinked pass, before squaring to Kike García, who passed the ball into the net to claim his first goal of the season.

Victory looked a certainty at this stage, as the Armeros comfortably maintained Espanyol at arm's length at the start of a second period in which the hosts failed to show any cutting edge when they threatened. However, all of that began to change from the 64th minute, when a Hernán Pérez strike cut the deficit.

Eibar found themselves unable to contain an Espanyol side who, without ever really dominating, further reduced the arrears on 73' courtesy of a Pablo Piatti effort. Then, just as the game was beginning to peter out, up popped Leo Baptistao to fire home an injury-time equaliser.

The draw will have felt more like a defeat to the Eibar players, who did enough in the first half to have claimed maximum points, but the Armeros were ultimately denied victory by a last-gasp equaliser.