Skip to main content
First Team

Last-gasp leveller secures Anoeta point

Real Sociedad and Eibar served up a 2-2 stalemate under the driving rain

SD Eibar claimed a precious point against Real Sociedad at Anoeta after an injury-time equaliser saw the visitors take a share of the spoils in the Gipuzkoa derby. The local rivals both struck twice in what was a highly intense battle played out under a downpour in San Sebastián.

The derby clash got off to a bright start, with several pieces of noteworthy action in the opening four minutes, including a chance for the hosts, two dangerous forays from the visitors and a booking for Pedro León.

The home side looked to control proceedings and set the tempo, but some fine pressing and high-intensity play from the Armeros served to stifle La Real's best intentions during the opening 14 minutes. However, just when it looked as if the visitors were starting to get on top, the hosts took the lead when Álvaro Odriozola's centre was nodded home by Juanmi.

Eibar reacted well to falling behind, and with 25 minutes on the clock, Gonzalo Escalante met Pedro León's inviting corner with a diving header to restore parity and continue his goalscoring streak in the Gipuzkoa derby.

Both sides continued to pour forward in the ensuing minutes, treating those inside Anoeta to some eye-catching football and proving their credentials as La Liga's two most in-form sides.

In the second period, however, the tone of the game changed. With barely 50 seconds of the second half played, the referee showed Florian Lejeune a second yellow and Eibar would be forced to play out the remainder of the game with 10 men. 

The dismissal of the Armeros' defender saw the encounter turn into an ill-tempered affair and 10 minutes later, Juanmi was on the receiving end of a second caution. With both sides down to 10 men, the second half failed to produce the high-octane tempo witnessed throughout the opening 45 minutes.

Eibar looked to push up after their numerical disadvantage was restored, however, the referee pointed to the spot on 66' and Carlos Vela made no mistake to put the hosts back into the driving seat.  

La Real's second of the night left Eibar shell-shocked and the Armeros, who saw coach José Luis Mendilibar sent to the stands, failed to pose any threat on Gerónimo Rulli's goal.

Just as the referee was about to bring proceedings to an end, Pedro León picked up a loose ball on the edge of the area and earned himself a yard before unleashing an effort which crept over the line.

This last-gasp equaliser saw the visitors leave Anoeta with a point, which felt more like all three, as Mendilibar's men extend their fine recent run. This stalemate means that the Armeros temporarily move level on points with six-placed Villarreal with Saturday's home clash against the league leaders, Real Madrid, at Ipurua (16:15 kick-off) next up for Eibar.